Techni Ice and Freezer

Submitted: Friday, Jun 29, 2007 at 23:14
ThreadID: 47246 Views:3982 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Had an interesting few days setting up solar panels, regulators, fridges.. ready for a trip to The Canning Stock Route in a weeks time.
Figured I had things just about right when I noticed the temperature in the 21L Engel (running as a freezer) was not getting below -2. 40L Engel as a fridge at low setting was getting down to +2. Both running on 12v from the second battery (105Ah Allrounder) with 144W of solar available. Battery capacity over a 48 hour cycle dropped to 48% (I know you go below 50% but lets be practical !) I don't have a problem with the solar capability but the freezer was a worry. Took it to a Refrig. place where they checked it out on 240v and went down to -12 in a couple of hours. Suggested it may be a 12v connection problem.
Had a bit of a think about it after I picked it up and the only things different when they checked it was running on 240v and before I took it to them " I took the 3 or 4 sheets of tecni ice I had in it out ". I put them back in and ran it for a hour or so on 240v and it would not go below -1.5. Removed the techni ice and straight away temperature started dropping. After 1 hour down to -6.5. Yet to check it out on 12v but will do that tomorrow.
I have used Techni ice in the Engel as a fridge before without this type of thing happening. ie. turning the fridge off during the night.

Has anyone else had this happen or can comment.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 00:52

Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 00:52
GT, put 2 or more packets of 'frozen' peas/beans/mixed vegies etc instead of the tecni ice in fridge and check results again.

The fridge 'should' work basically the same on 12 and 240 Volt as either fridge or freezer.

Could it be a 12v ‘problem’ with your vehicle, I ask because with solar connected to a 105ah battery, the charged battery should not get below 12.2v at any time, even at night with a fridge running.
AnswerID: 249967

Follow Up By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 08:52

Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 08:52
Thanks Mainey,

Not aware of a 12v problem but to eliminate plug/socket possibilities I am replacing the Arrid type cig lighter ones with the good old 2 pin polarised plug and sockets this morning.

I put half a dozen takeaway food containers of frozen curries etc. in the freezer last night and took the techni ice out and the temp this morning was -8.5 on 240v.

When the solar reg. showed 45% the other morning the battery voltage was still at 12.2v so I think that is OK.
FollowupID: 511090

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 13:58

Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 13:58
Steca solar regs show the battery State Of Charge as a % of the amount of power going 'into' the battery -verses- power going 'out' of the battery, ONLY via the solar regulator.

It works perfect ONLY if you are camped in one spot for long periods of time with-out starting the engine or recharging the battery by ANY source other than the solar panel/s.
If you start the engine, recharge the battery/s by ANY means other than solar or run anything DIRECT from the Aux battery, not through the Steca reg the amount of battery charge going 'in' & 'out' the Aux battery is NOT allowed for, or taken into the calculations as SOC by the % SOC of the Steca solar regulator and it will shut down the 'device' connected to it (fridge ?) by opening the circuit at a pre-set12.6v again.

If you have a Steca solar reg you have a choice of viewing on the LCD screen either 'voltage' (12.6v) or 'SOC' (98%) {numbers for visual appearance only, which will vary depending on the 'type' of battery} as you (probably) would with all other solar regulators also.
If you travel every few days then use 'VOLTAGE' not 'SOC' as you will get WRONG SOC information by looking at the LCD screen.

I have never seen my Steca solar reg get down to anywhere near 45% even in the early morning while still dark with the fridge running after a week of not running the engine, but I only use SOC when camped to get an really accurate idea of what is happening with my 12v power system. The SOC is 100% well before 10am daily.

Hope this explanation assists you
FollowupID: 511150

Follow Up By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 23:14

Saturday, Jun 30, 2007 at 23:14
Thanks again Mainey,

I will digest what you have explained and make some changes to the way I monitor my setup. We will be driving most days on the Canning Stock Route but will camp for a few days here and there. That is when the solar will be the only source of charge for the battery.

Thanks for your help. Will keep you informed how it goes.
FollowupID: 511244

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 01:04

Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 01:04
Correction required....
should read-> "If you start the engine, recharge the battery/s by ANY means other than solar or run anything DIRECT from the Aux battery, not through the Steca reg the amount of battery charge going 'in' & 'out' the Aux battery is NOT allowed for, or taken into the calculations as SOC by the % SOC of the Steca solar regulator and it will automatically shut down any 'device' connected to it (fridge ?) @ 11.1v by opening the circuit and then automatically reconnect the 'device' (fridge) @ 12.6v again"

You can drive all day and still have a miniscule SOC showing as low ~35% while a digital battery gauge will show the same Aux battery is fully charged @ ~12.8v which obviously is not 35% SOC but 100%.

The problem is while driving, the SOC is not calculated correctly because the Alternator will be charging the Aux battery, then when the Aux battery shows as 'fully charged' (which is initially only surface charge anyway) the solar reg will regulate so that no solar power goes to the Aux battery via the solar regulator, therefore only the power 'out' is taken into calculations by the reg and the 'fridge' will be automatically disconnected from a fully charged battery ....by mistake.

Turn off SOC and use the Voltage 'specs' while travelling to avoid these hassles.

Sorry about the long-winded technical post :-))
FollowupID: 511251

Reply By: SARocks - Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 18:32

Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 18:32
144w of solar enough for the 21l Engel with little to spare.
AnswerID: 250182

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 18:50

Sunday, Jul 01, 2007 at 18:50
SA, one is just a Unisolar panel :-)
FollowupID: 511336

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Monday, Jul 02, 2007 at 22:35

Monday, Jul 02, 2007 at 22:35
ok gotta say I am being really lazy here.. I skipped through your post, saw Techni Ice and don't really have a bloody clue what you are talking about in your post cause I am too tired to concentrate anymore after doing my tax, but I bought some techni ice ages ago off ebay, found it absolutely useless and an ice brick would last longer than the techni ice packs!
The techni ice found its way into the wheelie bin!
you have the same experience with it?

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 250408

Sponsored Links